Thursday, December 20, 2012

What is a Type A Underachiever?

It takes me a long time to name things.  Whenever I am confronted with something like naming a blog, it takes me days to come up with something, and more times that not, it's not something I like.  It's usually just coming up with something so that I can move on with the process.  Unfortunately, for many blog sites once you have picked your name you are stuck with it until the end of time. 

So why this one this time?  What exactly is a "Type A Underachiever"?  Well, it's what I am.  In many ways I have what would be called a "type A" personality.  I am very particular.  I am based in routine from the way I run my days to what I watch on television and when.  I don't consider myself OC (obsessive compulsive) about anything.  But if things aren't to my preference I have an issue.  I hold myself to very high standards.  Failure is not an option.  I will often go the extra mile to research and learn.  I don't say anything without knowing for a fact what I am talking about.  By all accounts I should be an overachiever.

The kicker is, that I am not.  With all these overachieving tendencies, what have I actually accomplished in my life?  Absolutely nothing.  I am 35 years old with no career.  I have just gotten around to getting an education, which my "type A" tendencies have really helped me be successful with, but I have not actually accomplished anything.  I have all the motivation to do great things. Some days I think that I am destined to do great things.  But something always gets lost along the way, and all that great motivation ends up in a whole lot of nothing.  I have an unsuccessful blog, and an unsuccessful photography page.  I have a desire to be highly organized, but lack the ability to be organized at all.  The fact is that, for someone who has the personality traits that typically lead to great success, I have not actually succeeded at anything. 

So why is this?  What gets lost along the way, and how do I find it?  Do I have a fear of success, or do I simply lack the ability to succeed?  What is the difference between those who go out and actually do great things, and the people like me who never quite get it together? 

Stories of a Type A Underachiever will spend a lot of time examining this in an effort to help myself, and others like me to unlock the secrets to not just daydreaming of success, but actually making it happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment